Thursday 12 April 2007

Thursday

I saw Blades of Glory today (not Days of Glory, which I am boycotting, or Inland Empire, which I said I'd see). It's as silly as you would expect it to be. Will Ferrell is Will Ferrell and Jon Heder is Jon Heder. Thankfully the amount of 'sport' in this sports movie was kept to a minimum, I thought. The focus was on the jokes, which weren't quite as good as I'd hoped - not Anchorman level - but still good. I suppose I could talk about problems of unity and consistency, which I feel are utterly vital to comedy. Nothing seemed to tie the movie together: there were hints of things - the brush, the tattoo, the orphan - but they ended up meaning nothing, and not coming back into the story again in any real way. In a comedy you want to be totally fulfilled in every way, you want everything to mean something, I think. Jon Heder gets a girl but Will Ferrell doesn't. In a way, this movie needed to be both more conservative with its structure, and more radical with its jokes. Nevertheless, the sex addict scene was great, as was probably the slowest chase in movie history: two men trying to walk in ice-skates over a polished marble floor. Overall, ok.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...