Tuesday 14 August 2007

Tuesday

I've found out two more reasons for you to go to see The Bourne Ultimatum when it comes out this week: firstly, it's directed by Paul Greengrass which, admittedly, you may have known already, but I didn't. He's the man who directed United 93, and also strangely the TV dramas The One That Got Away (about the SAS during the first Iraq war, which I remember liking) and Bloody Sunday. The second reason to see the film is that, although he isn't credited, Tom Stoppard apparently did three months of re-writes on the script. So, it sounds promising. The dilemma is, of course, that there's no longer much motive in the franchise - his girlfriend is dead and he killed the man directly responsible. I'm assuming now he's going after men higher up in the organisation, but they need to bring fresh motive and drive to the character, otherwise audiences may be a bit bored. When the first Bourne movie came out the stylistics were fresh and exciting, but now everyone is doing it (including Bond) they really need to raise their game again. Also, the news is that Matt Damon isn't interested in a fourth film.

1 comment:

Alex Andronov said...

I thought this one was supposed to be the big one. He's after finding out who he is and why he is.

Matt Damon who is a lot cleverer than a lot of his actorly chums I reckon quipped, "yeah I think if we make another one we'll have to call it: The Bourne Redundancy".

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...