Monday 6 August 2007

Monday

Sometimes I feel that British cinema is a genre rather than an industry. This is its weakness, I think. People associate British films with a certain type, rather than an ability to make any type. As you know, my patriotism factor is rather low; I don't need to see British films, or prefer them over anything else (normally the reverse, in fact). At the moment, someone somewhere is trying to promote a 'summer of British film' - the BBC are helping, but I don't think they're alone. Lots of home-grown movies are being shown on TV and in the theatres. Yes, there was a time when we made some excellent films, consistently. But that time has passed. Perhaps they're trying to resurrect it? Later this year we'll see the release of St. Trinian's, made by the famous Ealing Studios. I have a feeling, though, that this isn't going to change anyone's mind about British cinema. All our stars and directors immediately go to America. I don't blame them. That's where the money is to make movies. I don't feel it's necessary to erect national boundaries around art. I'm sure Hollywood probably doesn't qualify as 'America' anyway, with all its immigrant filmmakers. If we wanted, why don't we set up a British film company in America? Everything about it can be British, except that it's in California. We get the dollars we need by being there, and maintain the patriotism factor at the same time. Stupid, or stupendous?

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...