Monday 27 August 2007

Monday

To satisfy the curiosity of those of you piqued by my mention of It Could Happen To You, here's my review of that movie: it's a romantic (comedy) starring Bridget Fonda and Nicolas Cage. Already you can tell there won't be much chemistry, and that one of them (Cage) is entirely unsuited to the genre. I put 'comedy' in brackets because I don't remember laughing once, so I'm not sure that was the director's aim. Anyway, it's one of those films whose sentiment is so sickly you find it difficult to look at the screen. There's so much 'fate' and 'coincidence' and 'it was meant to be' that I couldn't take it seriously at all. The basic premise, that a cop hasn't got change to tip a waitress so promises her half his lottery money if he wins, wins $4m and decides he will share it with her, is absurd. It's awfully played. They could have so easily made it more believable: he doesn't have enough money to buy the lottery ticket itself and therefore offers her half. This would be a slightly more reasonable moral dilemma. Anyway, the logistics of that don't matter too much. I don't suppose I'm the target audience for this movie, but it had very little of any enjoyment in it. The morality displayed here was awful, and the character 'angel' played by Isaac Hayes just about makes this one of the worst romantic comedies ever.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...