Wednesday 14 November 2007

Wednesday

I assume Planet Terror, like its Grindhouse counter-part Death Proof, has been extended from its original edit, but I don't know. It did feel a little bit too long. However, it has been getting better reviews than Death Proof, although I suspect this may be due to some critics being bored by the Tarantino fanfare that accompanies his releases. As you'd guess, this film is not as self-referential, or post-modern, as Death Proof. It is, more or less, just a good fun zombie movie. The quality throughout is scratchy, and there is a humorous 'missing reel', but otherwise you might not notice the in-jokes (including a part for Tarantino himself). I really would love to see these two movies together, in one night, whilst drinking beer and eating popcorn. That's what they're intended for, and I'm sure it would be great. However, to judge this film on its own, it is good fun. The suspense builds suitably, although I didn't get the big ending I was hoping for. The eventual conclusion, however, was funny enough to have most people leave the cinema smiling. As the second part of one of modern cinema's more exciting experiments, I'd see this if I were you.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...