Thursday 29 November 2007

Thursday

I may have mentioned it here before that I like buddy cop movies - such as Stakeout and 48 Hours (although I've never got along that well with Lethal Weapon). Anyway, last night I saw Murder at 1600: Wesley Snipes is a loose cannon detective assigned to solve a murder at the White House. I was expecting terrible, but was mildly surprised by some elements here. Yes, the film was awful, but the plot was a lot more complex and interesting than it should have been. There was potential here, at least, for an interesting drama. The problem was that they went down the buddy cop route, which didn't really suit the material. Of course, another problem was that Snipes doesn't actually have a partner. His fellow detective makes only sporadic appearances, and the Secret Service female agent he's assigned has a bizarre only half-romantic relationship with him. The character Snipes has to play is odd too. He's a loose cannon, as mentioned, never doing things by the book, but he's also sensitive: he's being evicted from the house he lives in, and he makes model replicas of Civil War battles and the early landscape of Washington DC. Yes, you read that right. Bizarre, isn't it? So, something went fundamentally wrong here, that perhaps could have been interesting.

3 comments:

Alex Andronov said...

that is really weird. Every so often I think back to that movie because I can never believe that stuff about theodel making actually happened and I did't just dream it.

It was actually also the first movie that I ever reviewed online (well tied with jerasic park 2). That review is still online somewhere. It must have been more than ten years ago I reviewed it.

Nick Ollivère said...

Where is this review? Would be interesting to see it.

I think it must've been a case of 'let's make a Wesley Snipes film - here's this script we can use for that', rather than the other way around, if you see what I mean.

Anonymous said...

'The Grilse' is quite fascinating. Is it autobiographical?

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...