Saturday 18 November 2006

Saturday

The Host is a very good film. I think I read somewhere someone call it a cross between The Royal Tenenbaums and Jurassic Park. I see what they mean, but it's not quite apt. There are funny family moments, and there is a big monster, but there's a lot more to the film than that. For one thing, there's a seriousness to the film that both of those lack, and there is also a real striving to achieve something great, which seems to be lacking in general from American cinema. This is a really exciting, brilliantly acted, shot and conceived film. Perhaps the only problem is that it either isn't funny enough, or serious enough, alternately, when it needs to be. This can only be explained by ruining the film, which I don't want to do. Go see it. It's great.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...