Monday 27 November 2006

Monday

Pan's Labyrinth was not what I was expecting. Or, rather, my expectations kept changing the closer I got to seeing it. At first the advertisement made it look fascinating. Then a trailer made it seem unfamiliar. Then, approaching the cinema, I once again became fascinated and was determined to see it instead of HollywoodLand. However, leaving the cinema I was disappointed. I was trying to urge myself to like it, but couldn't do it. Yes, the cinematography is amazing, the imagination and the effects, but there was a naivety to the whole thing, a simplicity. In fact, I was almost sickened as the film ended and I realised what it had all been about. Sickened, perhaps, because there was so much potential for a great film there, but it all ended in useless sentiment. It is definitely worth seeing, and seems to be something of a critic's classic already, but I couldn't get along with the overall tone, no matter how hard I tried.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...