Friday 3 November 2006

Friday

I began to doubt my ability to make it to a film today. How could I possibly get to Tottenham Court Road in half an hour? I couldn't. Even if I did make it, the film would be very busy and maybe I wouldn't get a ticket. However, before the day was over, little did I know, things would take a series of unpredictable turns.I first decided to ask my colleage and good friend Eugenio if I could leave ten minutes early. He was more than accomodating and said I could leave 30 minutes early if I wanted. I strolled out of the shop casually at 8:30, confident I would make it with time to spare. Sitting on the train, however, I came across a copy of the Evening Standard. Now, my voucher specifically says 'any film any time after 7pm', but there in the paper were the words 'no free guest passes' underneath the film I wanted to see tonight: Borat. How could this be? And if I turned up to see that film and they turned me away, I wouldn't be able to see anything. I had to have a new plan...

As soon as the train stopped at Victoria I began running. I ran to the tube station. I changed at Green Park and ran between platforms. I ran up the escalator at Leicester Square. I ran along Charing Cross road and turned right onto Shaftesbury Avenue. It was 9pm. This was my only option. I was just in time to see the film A Good Year, but I would make sure I asked at the desk about Borat. A cunning plan, and it worked. No, I would not be allowed to see Borat with my free pass. 'One ticket to A Good Year, then, please' I said, rather too smugly, and a little out of breath. I bought a bottle of water and entered the film, before the trailers had even started.

So, how good was the movie? I had not expected much from it, having read several bad reviews, including one in a wine magazine (which was why it was not my first choice). However, I was pleasantly surprised. The film was very enjoyable - funny, well acted, well paced, with some beautiful scenery. Yes, the plot was predictable, but that didn't mean I didn't have fun along the way. Overall, exactly what I wanted, and so much more enjoyable because of how hard I had to work to see it.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...