Wednesday 13 January 2010

Wednesday

I had always avoided The Butterfly Effect because for some reason I confused it with Wicker Park (perhaps because Josh Hartnett and Ashton Kutcher are easily confused, or that both movies came out the same year). I'd seen bits of Wicker Park and not liked it. Now, however, I've seen The Butterfly Effect, realised it was a different film, and actually really enjoyed it. Ashton Kutcher is a young man who has suffered from memory blackouts, missing vital minutes that changed the course of his life. Not wanting to ruin the plot, I'll just say that as an adult he realises a new aspect to these blackouts. It's a good sci-fi premise (or the kind of one I enjoy), well played out, with good special effects, and some pretty harrowing scenes for an Ashton Kutcher film. It raises some good questions about success, what it is that makes us happy, and the idea of memory*. I was a little disappointed by the ending, but can't really say much about it without ruining the whole film for you. It felt like an easy escape, when the writer could've come up with a truly original twist for us. Nonetheless, this is great fun for those of you that enjoyed Deja Vu or Jumper, and aren't too irritated by Kutcher (I know some people are).

*For an amazing book on the notion of memory, try 'The Echo Maker' by Richard Powers.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...