Friday 29 January 2010

He's Just Not That Into You

I'll leave the question of why I watched this film for you to figure out. It's adapted from a self-help book, and some of this fragmentary nature is still evident in the movie. They have attempted to mould a narrative out of it - there are various interweaving story-lines, all aiming towards teaching us something about relationships - but I think ultimately they fail. It feels like a weak imitation of Love Actually (a film I didn't particularly like anyway). I found myself lost between the several characters and their problems, empathising with none of them. No one of them particularly caught or held my attention. You flit from one story to the next, not giving characters time to develop rounded personalities. Perhaps I'm being unfair, as I did approach this negatively right from the start. I am of course not the target audience (for much of this film men are portrayed as unfeeling bastards), but there is a central flaw to the movie.After offering good advice to women to begin with, it then contradicts it in the last ten minutes. For example, there is a man who throughout disagrees with marriage, but at the end he proposes. Why? This gives us the 'exception to the rule' that throughout we had been told to ignore. Avoid this if you are at all cynical about relationships, but if you're a born romantic, I think it will offer you a good reasonable night in with a glass of wine.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...