Tuesday 5 January 2010

Tuesday

Which film is scarier: The Omen or It? I ask this because I saw both films for the first time on Sunday, and as I lay in bed trying to get to sleep that night, I wondered which movie's images would haunt my dreams: the little boy or the clown? When I awoke about 4am to go to the toilet, I was surprised to find that it was the clown I was more scared of. When watching the films I'd found the clown slightly ridiculous and not that frightening. The little boy, as the title suggests, is more ominous. He is terrifying, but poses no real physical threat himself. What is more, his danger comes only if you have a Christian upbringing. It, on the other hand, threatens everyone - he is in your imagination. However, there is another distinction to be made. It is more obviously frightening, the kind of film that makes you jump out of your seat, whereas The Omen works away at your unconscious, like The Exorcist, and terrifies you to the core. I say this, and yet I hesitate. I didn't find The Omen that frightening, and its effect so far seems limited. Despite the weird and terrible ending to It, I think it the more truly scary film, and it was the image of the clown that frightened me in my dark hallway.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...