Friday 17 August 2007

Friday

What classic films haven't you seen? Although I don't believe in any kind of academic thoroughness, where you have to watch every critically acclaimed movie in order to be taken seriously, I do think it's helpful to reveal one's weaknesses. I haven't seen La regle du jeu ('The Rules of the Game') or La Grand illusion (both by Jean Renoir). I've never seen The Searchers or The Wild Bunch, or The Bridge on the River Kwai. Nor have I watched The Sound of Music or West Side Story. I haven't viewed Raging Bull or Sunset Blvd. either. There are many more, of course, but I just thought I'd get you started. The great thing about cinema is that it isn't literature - there is no weight of tradition you feel you have to engage with every time you go out on a Saturday night. Movies are always new. You will appreciate them more the more you watch, but I don't feel it's as necessary as it is with books.

3 comments:

fourstar71 said...

Heck, where do I start! Alex, have you got that list?

Alex Andronov said...

Sadly blogger won't accept posts of that many characters ;)

I too feel the same way about these things. You can appreciate a movie without any prior knowledge it just becomes easier the more you practice. And the more good films you see the better tools you have to dissect the ones you watch now.

I've seen all of the ones you mention except the Renoirs.

I own Raging Bull and as it's one on Katherine's list perhaps we should have a viewing? It really is (in my opinion) fantastic.

Alex Andronov said...

I forgot to mention my ones in there. I haven't seen nearly enough films in French.

And I must say - I don't think I've ever seen any films by Bergman... Which I feel terrible about.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...