Wednesday 11 June 2008

Wednesday

I get immensely annoyed by the attitude of the UK terrestrial channels in their coverage of major sports events. At the moment, both ITV and BBC share the Euro 2008 games. However, you'll never hear one channel mention that the other one shows the matches they can't. It's not as if they're offering competing coverage - all they can manage is a highlights show later in the day, and that, according to them, is all that exists of the game. It infuriates me that the channels can't see that we, as viewers, are interested in the sport first, before any channel loyalty (which I don't have anyway). It gets worse when the BBC news will, after reporting on the latest action in Formula 1, recommend you listen to the race on radio. Why would I do that when the ITV broadcast it live on television? I understand that the other channel will not shut down when there are events on they can't cover - they put on shows that they want us to watch, and value their ratings greedily - but it seems such narrow-mindedness, and every intentional silence still staggers me.

2 comments:

Alex Andronov said...

It is so incredibly petty. Especially when they suggest you should watch the highlights rather than the match itself. Bonkers.

fourstar71 said...

Yes that also rankles somewhat with me. They should grow up!

However, is there a sign of change on the horizon?

BBC:Euro2008

Yes, it says clearly "Live on ITV" when the Beeb are not showing it. Amazing.

Frankly I wonder if they are both so pleased that they have the exclusive rights and Sky don't, they are just rubbing it in?

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...