Friday 13 June 2008

Friday

I apologise for one more not directly cinema related post. I will get back to reviewing movies soon. Yesterday David Cameron said something that somewhat startled me. I wonder if you'll agree. Criticising Gordon Brown about the recent 42-day detention vote, Cameron said something like 'we're not here to do what's popular, but to do what's right'. Of course, I agree that the popular option is very often, if not always, the wrong one, but then I haven't been elected to government by a popular vote. Isn't it an MP's job to do what the majority of his constituents want? Or does he sometimes have to go against what they want because he believes they'll thank him later? He can't ask them to vote every time he has to make a decision. They elected him because they trust him to do what they want, don't they? I've always been puzzled by exactly how this reciprocal relationship worked, and David Cameron has muddied the waters considerably.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's a big question. What is an MP's job? You can go a long way with talk of representatives and delegate and so on. But in the end, for me, an MP's job is to do what s/he said s/he would do when s/he was looking for your vote.

If the promise was "vote for me, I will do whatever you want", then you should expect that. It's unlikely that you got that promise though, isn't it?

Much more likely that you voted for someone because of party affiliation. In which case, Cameron has it right there, doesn't he?

Of course, Cameron is a big fat liar, and does lots of things in order to be popular, rather than right. As does Brown.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...