Sunday 15 June 2008

Sunday

You, like me, might have never watched Cocktail. It is one of those films that you either saw at the time, and continue to see, or you didn't, and never will. Unless, of course, you were too young or even (you won't believe it, but apparently this is true for some people) weren't born by then. I myself was nine years old when Cocktail came out in 1988. The impression I gained from other people and popular opinion was that this was a 'fun' movie. When I watched it recently, I found it quite harrowing. Did you know this film was based on a book? I think you can tell - it definitely seems to skip large periods of time where a lot of emotional development has occurred. Big events happen, but they aren't prepared for, or their consequences aren't fully appreciated. Anyway, I'm being too fussy. This movie is fun. Tom Cruise is incredibly young, energetic and exciting to watch. The soundtrack is cheesy (now), but enjoyable nonetheless, and they make cocktails and recite bartender poems. I was surprised by the seriousness of some of the things that happen, but maybe that's because I'm so used to our anaesthetic modern blockbusters? There is something slightly dangerous about 80's cinema, beneath its upbeat surface, that perhaps needs further examination.

1 comment:

Alex Andronov said...

I recognise what you're talking about (although I too haven't see Cocktail). It seems that more and more these days movies are one thing or another. You don't tend to see a mix. Like somebody is saying "you can't make your hero cry it will confuse people. If you want your hero to cry you have to put him in a loser film for losers."

I think that they took greater risks in the eighties because a) there was less money involved and b) a lot more of film studies has been formalised since then.

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...