Thursday 26 July 2007

Thursday

I have received rebukes from friends and family when I mention The Simpsons Movie (out today). 'You don't want to see that, do you?' they ask me. This surprises me. I thought everyone wanted to see it. Where has this, apparent, sudden reversal of attitude come from? Perhaps they feel that whilst The Simpsons are good, a whole movie of them is too much, and is just a money-making opportunity. The makers have 'sold-out', maybe. I don't think this is true at all, and I certainly don't think the people who worked hundreds of hours on this project think so either. The Simpsons has been consistently funny since its inception. Its development has been intriguing, and its more recent almost surreal episodes can be hilarious. I've no reason to think the film won't be just as good, especially given the brilliant trailers. One friend told me that The Simpsons are 'establishment', and has lost its ability (if it ever had it) to be critical, or cutting edge. This is certainly true if you compare to to Family Guy, which is constantly shocking, but I do think it's an unfair criticism, and not really related to the quality of the movie. Anyway, as you can guess, I'm looking forward to it, and hopefully you'll have my review soon.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...