Sunday 1 July 2007

Sunday

Yesterday I was confronted with a dual dilemma. My flatmates lent me to watch the new Die Hard film. What should I do? There are two issues. Firstly, the so-called 'moral' or 'ethical' one. This DVD was clearly illegal. He'd bought it from one of those Chinese girls that sell them on the street. Although I hadn't paid for it myself, merely watching it, I felt, would be in a way funding the pirate video market. I would be taking money away from the people who work hard to make movies. My flatmate argued that if he didn't buy those DVDs the Chinese girl would probably starve to death. Possibly. That seems very much like the case of helping those people you know, and ignoring those you don't. Anyway, it's complex, but here's the second issue: watching the film at home, in probably very bad quality, would in no way match up to seeing it in the cinema. I'm one of those people, obviously, who thinks seeing a movie at a theatre does have an affect on the audience. It's how the film was supposed to be seen, and heard. So, what should I do? I'm eager to see this movie, but does that mean I should watch it tonight, or wait until its in the cinemas next week?

2 comments:

Alex Andronov said...

I hope you wait for the cinema! I'd like to see it with you there...

Nick Ollivère said...

Ok!

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...