Monday 16 March 2009

Monday

Vicky Cristina Barcelona is a strange title. There are no commas, and there is no 'h' in 'Cristina'. This, in a roundabout way, does give you a hint toward the tone of the film. It's playful, to say the least. There is a voiceover which I'm still uncertain about - it detaches us from the characters, and in many cases isn't necessary. The voiceover's statements and jokes are so distinctively like Woody Allen, that it would've been interesting to hear him do it. The voiceover gives the film the tone of a travel documentary, which is odd. Unfortunately, like some of his other recent films, the acting is not great. I somehow get the feeling that Woody Allen doesn't let the actors have many takes - although I have no evidence for this suggestion. The film takes a while to become interesting, and it is heightened significantly by the arrival of Penelope Cruz, deservedly an Oscar winner. She not only performs well herself, but raises the level of the other actors around her. The scenery and the photography of it is incredible. I liked this film before I went in, because I like Woody Allen, but I wonder what people who've never seen his movies think. It has a gentle humour, and an engaging dynamic, but it's ending might leave a few people frustrated. Certainly his best film since Matchpoint.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...