Friday 13 March 2009

Friday

Two things that might interest you: strandedcinema.co.uk has now ceased to function, primarily because I didn't want to keep paying for it. I didn't feel it was that necessary anyway. Secondly, I've recently noticed a website called strandedcinema.com. It's a lot more professional than my postings, but does seem to have stopped some time in January. What puzzles me is why you would use the name 'stranded cinema'? I personally think it's a pretty bad, inexplicable name for a site about movies. I'm not sure if I've ever explained why I chose it. The Evening Standard was running free cinema tickets - that's why I started posting here. So, I wanted a pun on the newspaper's name. I was also interested in the cinemas that were shutting down across London. I had a recollection of one that used to be on the Strand. So, 'stranded' was vaguely similar to Standard, and also hinted at those cinemas that had been abandoned. What's more, my reviews were going to be stranded, in the sense of a piece of thread, or string of posts. I later found out that the cinema I was thinking of was on Piccadilly, not the Strand, so 'Stranded Cinema' really doesn't make much sense anymore, but it has stuck somehow.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...