Monday 17 November 2008

Monday

I realised yesterday that I never wrote a review here of Tropic Thunder. Aside from being quite busy at the moment, I think it might have been because I'm not sure what to say about it. Yes, it did have some very funny parts to it. It wasn't, however, consistently funny, and despite its original setting it didn't escape being formulaic, like most of Ben Stiller's comedies. Would I see it again and laugh again? Probably. This might be down to the brilliant performance of Robert Downey Jr as an Australian method actor playing a black man. He's funny throughout, for no obvious reason, even when he doesn't have any dialogue. The most mundane things that he says become hilarious because of the situation he decides to put himself in, again for no obvious reason. It is a likable comedy because it at least tries something completely different, even if it does end up relying on some conventional jokes, and you might begin to find Stiller's style of acting tiring. Now that it's out of the cinema, I'd say it's definitely worth renting.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...