Tuesday 6 May 2008

Tuesday

I was surprised last night by a movie called Prime, starring Uma Thurman and Meryl Streep. You may not have even heard of it. I think its cinema release, in 2006, was muted (at least here in the UK). Inevitably it was billed as a 'chick-flick', but once again this categorisation is slightly off. Thurman plays a recently divorced woman in her late 30s who gets involved with a man only twenty-three years old. It sounds awful, I know. But there is an intelligent sensitivity about this film that impressed me. Yes, there is humour, but I wouldn't call this a comedy. Neither is it entirely a romance. It is at times quite mature and realistic in its outlook. It reminded me of the brilliant The Break-Up, or even the great Woody Allen films of the late 1970s. What was missing was a better actor to play the younger man, and a slightly better script. It needed a sharper edge to it, more humour, and less stereotyped characters. Overall, though, this was surprisingly enjoyable.

Movie News: Amy Winehouse may no longer be doing the new Bond theme tune.

1 comment:

Don Fulgencio said...

Prime sucked, especially towards the end, but it does feature one of the best one-liners ever: "I have T-shirts older than you."

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...