Tuesday 23 February 2010

Dial M for Murder

There has to be a different model for reviewing films based on plays, but seeing as I don't have one, I'm going to attempt to ask and answer questions at the same time. This movie suffers greatly from the usual problems involved. There is too much dialogue, too little action, and only really one set. It seems as if in order to compensate Hitchcock included over-dramatic music and also, strangely, filmed it in 3D. Apparently it was only shown for a brief time in that format, and I can see why. Perhaps my modern viewpoint (notably Avatar) skews my perspective, but I can't see much here that warrants 3D viewing. There are some unusual shots, especially the high angle ones, and it would be interesting to see them in 3D, but this film is mostly dialogue, as I said above. It's also, I would think, slightly too long. Although the plot is compelling and intriguing (you actually want the murderer to get away with it), you also want the events to move quicker than they do. All the actors are exceptional and it's an iconic role for Grace Kelly (although I prefer her in Rear Window). Aside from this, it has to remain one of Hitchcock's less interesting films. There are touches of his macabre side, and perhaps one his best cameos, but aside from that the adaptation just doesn't work for me. Like Rope, it's interesting, but flawed.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...