Monday 8 December 2008

Monday

There is something strangely frightening about My Name is Earl. In an episode I watched last night, he meets a very annoying man who seems to have the perfect life: lots of money, a big house, a beautiful wife and a mistress. For Earl, Karma is not right in this situation. In a later fit of rage, Earl punches the man, and due to this punch the man loses his wife, his mistress, his house, and ends up going to jail. Karma has been restored. The conclusion is that Karma used Earl's fist to right the world. Don't you find this a scary notion for a half-hour comedy show? Isn't it a bit too reminiscent of a religious justification for war? 'God is merely using us to purify the world'. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, and perhaps in a later episode that I haven't seen this incident is explained, but I'm now deeply troubled by the outlook that this show is promoting.

1 comment:

Alex Andronov said...

From the moment that I discovered that both the actors who play Randy and Earl are Scientologists I've had a strange feeling about the show...

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...