Wednesday 22 October 2008

Wednesday

Vantage Point came out earlier this year. I remember wanting to see it, then reading a negative review and deciding not to. The film shows you several different viewpoints, or vantages, of the assassination of a US president. I believe the review said that seeing the same events repeated several times becomes tiring. I can say that this is almost true. I was about to get tired of seeing the same events, but then the movie changed. Every time you return to the beginning you learn something new. You are kept on the edge of your seat throughout. Things are revealed in perfectly arranged sequences. Although on reflection you might think that certain things are rather artificially hidden from you, in the moment of the movie you don't notice them. I think this would've been great to see in the cinema. It drags you along, surprising you every few minutes. Its lack of success owes more to a lack of big name star rather than anything else. If Tom Cruise had been in Dennis Quaid's role, this film might have been huge. I, however, prefer it as it is: a great fun, intriguing and entertaining movie.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...