Sunday 11 February 2007

Sunday

I, Robot is a great movie. I don't think I saw it in the cinema, but I've seen it many times since, and own it on DVD. It's one of those movies, like Evolution, that I guess I should class as a 'guilty pleasure'. But I don't feel guilty. This movie is just great fun. The whole feel of it - the music, the acting, the photography - is good. The final action sequence, normally a let down in such films, is actually entertaining. The whole film is funny, slightly ironic and self-reflexive, but at the same time challenging and engaging. I love it.

Want to be a film director? Then try this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/games/callingtheshots.shtml
Not exactly a foolproof method of deciding if you're good enough, but still fun.

Also, I heard a great sketch about cinema by the stand-up Jason Manford. His girlfriend was complaining that a film they were watching wasn't realistic because the actress had just come out of the water and her hair and make-up were perfect. He replies: 'my popcorn cost £6, this isn't a place of realism'.

No comments:

The Hateful Eight

Tarantino has said he'll only make ten films, and then retire. I don't know if he still stands by this statement, and if he does we ...